Monday, June 8, 2020





||Sri Ram Jeyram Jay Jay Ram ||

Chapter – 9 – Ayodhya Kandam

 Rama meets King Dhasharatha 

Rama invited Sumanthra who was considered as  equal to his father; he received him with great respect and gave a seat. He informed the state of King Dhasharatha in the palace, and brought him to the palace. People were worried and anxious to watch Raghukulathilaka following Sumanthra. Raghuvamshamani rushed to the chamber of the King and saw his father completely traumatized like an old elephant horrified at the sight of a female lion. His lips were dried, his body was shrunken in grief, looked like the serpent lost its gem on the forehead. Prabhu witnessed Mother Kaikeyi in a rage, was standing close to his bed, she was waited near him to watch his last moments as if his death. Rama is extremely kind and soft-spoken always, watched the horrific sight for the first time in his life. He went closer to Mother Kaikeyi and asked in soft words “Oh! Dear mother, what is the cause of the grief of father? I shall take all the efforts to remove it.”



Devi Kaikeyi began to speak “Rama listens to me carefully, your father loves you very much. He had promised two boons to me several years ago. I have asked for that boon, after listening to my request for boons, your father became heartbroken. Because he cannot meet his promises because of love for you, he is in dilemma, he has a great love for you and on the other hand, he is not in a position to fulfill his promise to me. If possible, follow his words, and relieve him from the grief.” Devi Kaikeyi spoke in extreme dislike, it was like powerful arrows, her tongue was a bow, and it was aiming at King Dhasharatha. She explained all that happened between them and sat in gloominess. The Supreme Lord Rama who is the abode of bliss smiled in his heart. He began to speak beautiful words free from impurities “ Oh! Mother, kindly listen to me, a son who is courteous to parents, blessed to follow their commands, hence I am fortunate one to follow the order of my father Oh! Mother, unfortunately, there are very few children who sincerely follow the commands of their parents and satisfy them. Oh! Mother, if I leave for woods, I will get a great opportunity to meet several saints, it would add an abundance of benefits to me, moreover, I have the command of my father and the permission of you.  My beloved brother Bharatha is dear as my life would become the King of Ayodhya, God has showered an abundance of grace upon me. If I did not follow your order and did not make it to the woods, I will be a foolish person. It would be like serving a useless tree instead of Kalpavruksha, and consuming poison instead of nectar, even the fool will not leave this great opportunity. Oh! Mother, I have no grief other than seeing my father in a terrible state, I cannot believe how did my father lose peace and courage after listening to too little request of you. Oh! Dear mother, King is extremely valorous; he is the ocean of virtues. Why did he refuse to talk to me openly? I must have committed a sin that is the reason he is keeping quiet. Oh! Mother kindly tell me the truth.”



The innocent words of Rama, spoken good-naturedly, were mistaken by Kaikeyi. She understood Rama will not stand against her wish, she felt happy in heart, she acted lovingly and spoke “ I do not know the reason for the grief of the King,  other than these two. Oh! Dear son, you have never been unfavorable to us, you are the provider of happiness to your mothers and brothers. You are truthful always, you sincerely follow the commands of your parents, you and Bharatha are dear as my life, advice your father not to earn ill fame in the latter years of age. He has performed several pious deeds to achieve you as a son; it is not advisable to discard your words. Devi Kaikeyi spoke highly auspicious words like the cursed city of Magadha adorned with the watercourse of Gaya, finally attains union in Ganga and becomes sacred; all those words of Kaikeyi were highly pleasant to listen for Rama.



The King regained consciousness, he uttered the name of Rama and turned on one side, Sumanthra informed the King about the arrival of Rama in his chamber. He immediately seated on the bed with the help of Sumanthra, opened his eyes widely, saw Rama falling at his feet. He embraced Rama affectionately like the serpent regained its jewel/Shiromani. He stared at the lovely face of Rama for a long time, his eyes were overflown with tears; he could not utter a word in extreme grief. He repeatedly embraced Rama, he sincerely prayed that Rama should not go to the forest.



King Dhasharatha sincerely prayed to Lord Parameshwara “Oh! Sadhashiva, kindly listen to my sincere prayers, Oh! Ashutosh, Oh! Bhakthavathsala, kindly remove my grief, you are the safest asylum of the distressed people. Oh! Bhagavan, you are the source of Karma in the Jeeva kindly gives the strength to Rama to refuse my command and do not let him leave to the forest abandoning the love and kindness of his father. Kindly give him the wisdom not to leave the city of Ayodhya and live in the palace forever. I do not care about my ill fame or fame, I am willing to proceed to hell, and I am willing to tolerate all those hardships, troubles, and grief.  But do not separate Rama from me.” King Dhashartha did not open his mouth, he was completely besieged in grief, and he wanted to express his love for his son. Rama understood the situation of his father, he does not want his father to get more hurt by Devi Kaikeyi. Raghupathi immersed in thought for a while and began to speak “Oh! Dear father, I would like to speak about some important matters with you, kindly forgive me for my attempt to talk about the serious things to you, kindly do not consider them as a disrespectful act. Oh! Father, you are grieving over meager troubles, you should have informed me before about the promises, it is really sad that you did not inform, I have heard from Mother Kaikeyi, I have enquired about your welfare to her, now I have clearly understood the situation. Oh! Dear father, do not grieve during the auspicious hours, kindly give me permission to follow your command.”

No comments:

Post a Comment