Sunday, June 7, 2020




||Sri Ram Jeyram Jay Jay Ram ||

Chapter – 5 – Ayodhya Kandam

 The treacherous advice of Mandhara


Mandhara continues “Oh! Devi, You have heard of Kadhru who is the mother of serpents taken revenge on her sisterly Vinatha who is the mother of Garuda. In the same manner Devi Kausalya would settle scores against you. They will imprison Bharatha and he will meet his death in the prison, Lakshman will remain closest as ever to Rama.” Devi Kaikeyi terrified listening to the cruel words of hunch-back Mandhara, she could not speak anything, she quivered like the plantain tree in fear and drenched in perspiration.  Mandhara took great pleasure watching the panic-stricken state of Devi Kaikeyi, she bit her tongue in happiness, further she pacified the queen with thousands of lies.  Soon, as Mandhara desired Devi Kaikeyi lost her good intellect speaks “Oh! Mandhara, you are right, my right eye is quivering for several days now, I am having nightmares but I did not tell you. I am a peaceful-natured woman, I cannot recognize enemies and companions, and I have not committed any sin to others. I do not know why God is giving me so much pain. I have decided to spend the rest of my life in my father’s kingdom. I will not serve Kausalya and live the life of a slave in the Ayodhya. Death is far better than serving an enemy.” Devi Kaikeyi revealed her state of self-pity, Mandhara realized that the queen had lost her good sense; she used all her skills in augmenting hatred in her “Oh! Devi, why you feel pity for yourself, you will have all the richness and happiness. Whoever thought of your troubles would attain the fruit of it, Oh! Devi, after realizing the wicked thoughts of people against you, I have lost the taste of food and lost sleep in the night. I have met a few astrologers and enquired, they affirmed that Bharatha will be the King of Ayodhya. Oh! Devi, if you want to make it true, I can give you an idea, that would make everything work in favor of you and I am responsible to serve you.”



Devi Kaikeyi said “Oh! Mandhara, if you advise me, I am ready to jump in well too. I am willing to sacrifice my son and my husband. If you advise me to remove my trouble, why should I refuse to follow you?” Mandhara understood Devi Kaikeyi has completely changed her mind; she can use queen as her sacrificial animal and began to take joy in piercing the sacrificial animal with the sharp knife, the queen who was like the cow that tied in the sacrificial poll did not realize the upcoming dangers. Mandharas speeches were most impressive and promising, but it was extremely painful. She was feeding the queen with the poison mixed honey, and spoke “ Oh! Devi, I remember a conversation we had several years before about the two boons of King Dhasharatha promised to you. I feel this is the right time to ask for those two promises so that you can make everything in favor of you. You ask for Bharatha to be crowned as the King of Ayodhya and ask Rama to go to woods, in this way you can steal the happiness of Devi Kausalya and Devi Sumithra. Oh! Devi, make sure to ask for this boons when the King is willing to promise on Rama so that he cannot withdraw from his promise. You have not much time left in your hands, if today’s night is over, everything will go out of your hands. Therefore follow my words sincerely, go to the Kopagriha/fortress made to stay when the queens are upset or grieved, make every move against the King very carefully, and do not trust his words immediately. Thus, Devi Kaikeyi considered ‘Kubari/hunch-back woman’ as the sincere companion and praised her intellect, and spoke “Oh! Mandhara, I have no other sincere companion like you. You have helped a person sinking in water; If God fulfilled my desire, Oh! Sakhi, I will protect you like my eyes.” Thus, Devi Kaikeyi praised Kubari and entered in the Kopa Griha.



Devi Kaikeyi’s mind worked like a field which was carried the seeds of troubles that were sowed and watered by Mandhara, the seeds of troubles well nurtured by Mandhara, grown quickly and brought out leaves like sorrows. Devi Kaikeyi entered in the dark Kopagriha and took a seat on the floor.   Devi Kaikeyi, while taking great pleasure in the royal comforts, without knowing her mind started working against her, the palace and the city was too crowded with people and the preparations of the coronation ceremony; none has understood the treacherous plan of Mandhara.


No comments:

Post a Comment