Sunday, June 14, 2020



||Sri Ram Jeyram Jay Jay Ram ||

Chapter – 26– Ayodhya Kandam

Sumanthra returns to the Kingdom of Ayodhya

Guha’s pain of separation from Rama was indescribable, he sends off Sumanthra with his attendants. The caretakers of horses cried out of grief and Sumanthra spoke “Its miserable to live without Raghuveera, my body cannot withstand the pain of separation from him. It is sad that I did not leave Prana the moment I left Rama in the woods; therefore I am unfortunate and sinful. Why my Prana did not leave my body? I have lost a great fortune in my life, why did my heart is not splitting apart?” Sumanthra could not control his grief; he was beating his head and anxious, like the wealthiest man became pauper in seconds, he felt his Prana behaved like a warrior flee from the battlefield. Sumanthra besieged with intense sorrow, like an eminent Bhramin born in an illustrious clan, profound in Veda and Shastras, fallen as prey for the addiction of intoxicating drink. He suffered the grief of separation like a chaste woman who is intelligent, born in the illustrious clan, sincerely serves her husband with words, actions, and thoughts, separated from her husband due to fate. His eyes overflown with tears, and lost its sight, he has become deaf and his mind was extremely anxious, his lips were dried and the tongue lost the ability to speak, but the Prana remains in his body like the Awadhi shut the door for Prana. He was too emotional, felt like committed murder of his own parents, his grief was like a Jeeva/sinner traveling to Yamapuri, he regretted “what I do in Ayodhya? People will not look at me if I return without Rama in the chariot. How did I answer to the queries of people of Ayodhya? How did I share the painful information which is sharp as Vajra to the people of Ayodhya? Oh! Bhagavan, how did I answer to those elderly and distressed mothers ask about Rama? What did I do when Devi Sumithra ask about the auspicious news about her son? Devi Kausalya who always walks around Rama like the cow newly given birth to a calf, how did I inform her that Rama, Sita, and Lakshmana have gone to woods. I have to share the most unpleasant news to everyone who questions me; this is what I get in Ayodhya. How did I answer to King Dhasharatha who is miserable, and his Prana vested in Rama, ask for the children? How did I answer him that I have left them safely in the forest? It is definite that when I pass the message of Rama, he will definitely lose all his hopes. I have understood one thing, even after getting separated from Rama; my Prana is still lingering on this body to undergo hellish tortures.” In this way, Sumanthra incoherently spoke to himself, eventually, they have reached on the banks of river Thamasa.   Sumanthra courteously informed the charioteers and sends the Nishadha’s back to their village, they fell at the feet of Sumanthra and sadly took a leave.



Sumanthra did not enter the city of Ayodhya in the daylight, as if he has committed the grave sin of killing parents, Gohathya or Bhramahathya. The day was spent under the shade of a tree, when it was dark he continued journey to the city, thus he entered the palace and stopped the chariot at the entry point, and went inside the palace. Soon people assembled to meet Sumanthra and found his chariot at the gate of the palace, found the horses are restless and tired of long hours of journey, it intensified the anxiety of the people of Ayodhya. The people in the palace were nervous, he felt the people moving all over the palace like ghosts. The queens approached him with several questions, but he was not in a position to answer them, words were not coming out of his mouth, his sight has lost, and asked everyone “Where is the King?” Devi Kausalya and Devi Sumithra were frightened watching the pathetic condition of Sumanthra so they accompanied him to the fortress of Devi Kaikeyi where King Dhasharatha who was impatiently waiting to see Sumanthra. King saw Sumanthra in a wretched state, Sumanthra looked at the King who has lost all the luster, without royal clothes, or ornaments, or grand furniture or mattress, he was in a miserable state lying on the floor, was like the Sampathi whose wings were burned down by the scorching sunrays. He was constantly uttering “Rama, Rama, Sita, Sita, Lakshmana, Lakshmana”. Sumanthra went closer to the king prostrated before him and said “Long live the King of Ayodhya! Victory to the King of Ayodhya!”. King Dhasharatha abruptly got out of the floor and enquired “Where is Rama?” Sumanthra who was already in a miserable state embraced the King, and seated close to him, King Dhasharatha began to speak “Oh! Dearest Sakha, kindly tell me about Rama, where is Rama, Lakshmana and Vaidhehi? Did you bring them back or left in the forest?” Sumanthra could not resist his tears; the King continued “kindly tell me the news about Rama, Lakshmana, and Sita. I have declared him as King of Ayodhya and send him to the forest, he was neither happy nor sad about it, and why my Prana did not leave me after I have got separated from that virtuous son? I must have committed a grave sin, that’s why my Prana is not leaving this body. Oh! Sakha, kindly take me to the forest where Rama, Lakshmana, and Sita live, otherwise, I am telling you the truth, and I will leave my mortal coil. Kindly tell me about my dearest sons, Oh! Sakha kindly finds a way to bring back Rama, Lakshmana, and Sita back to the palace.”

No comments:

Post a Comment